Thursday, January 18, 2007

Horseradish

The picture is of my youngest son Ryan at his first birthday, cute little guy. The other day I came home and noticed this picture was now the background shot on our computer and Ryan himself had scanned it and put it in. That was a little odd, I thought to myself. But now that I have taken some time to reflect maybe it isn’t weird at all. So many of us humans (maybe all of us) want those warm fuzzies when we think of “home.” We love to remember (or dream of) a place where we are loved just as we are, embraced for being us, not some made up veneer that we play at work. So why not go back to some early memories when everyone thought that we were cute, and listened to all the dumb things we said and liked it. Our world is such a harsh place to live, believe me I work with students all the time, that we enjoy thos little escapes to "home".

So I was putting together our devotional for Mexico the other day and (we will be making our way through 1 Peter during our ten day trip) this “horseradish” verse reaches up and grabs me by my throat:

“The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.”
1 Peter 4:7
(Try a forkful of horseradish when your nose is plugged up and you’ll get my drift)

Lord grant us that perspective! Help us live not only in the fuzzies of yesteryear but in the cold mountain-air reality that this is almost over, that the REAL fuzzies are yet to come because you are our home!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home